Changes to our business
Transfer of business
On 1 February 2019, we transferred the following types of policies, together with related contracts, assets and liabilities from Aviva Insurance Limited to Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC:
- all policies issued by Aviva Insurance Limited through our branch in the Republic of Ireland (including policies where Aviva Insurance Limited’s records show that all or part of the risk insured is situated in the United Kingdom);
- certain policies issued by Aviva Insurance Limited through our former branch in France;
- certain policies issued by Aviva Insurance Limited through our former branch in Belgium; and
- certain commercial and retail policies or parts of policies issued by Aviva Insurance Limited where Aviva Insurance Limited’s records show that all or part of the risk insured is situated in EU/EEA states other than the United Kingdom.
What does the transfer mean for you?
Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC is now the provider of your policy (or of the EEA risks where your policy covers both EEA risks and risks in the UK or elsewhere).
The transfer will have no effect on:
- the operation of your policy;
- the terms of your policy;
- any payments you make or receive under the terms of your policy;
- the way you contact us; or
- the usual level of service you receive.
You can find more information about the background to transferring this business in the questions and answers
A process designed to help protect your interests
To make sure that policyholders were protected and not unfairly disadvantaged, we followed a set process. This included:
- giving impacted policyholders notice of the transfers;
- making impacted policyholders aware that they had an opportunity to object and put their objections directly to the court if they believed they’d be negatively affected by the transfer;
- a detailed review by an Independent Expert;
- consulting our industry regulators; and
- approval by the court in Edinburgh.
Our proposal was approved by the court on 22 January 2019.
You can find copies of the Independent Expert’s reports, the scheme documents and other court documents in our document library.